Wake County Residents Urge Commissioners to Protect Election Access, Women’s Shelter, and Food Programs in Fiscal Year 2026-27 Budget
Public hearing drew appeals for continued funding for voting operations, the Helen Wright Center and the Nourishing Wake food-as-medicine initiative ahead of June budget adoption.
Raleigh, NC, May 20, 2026 — Wake County residents used this past Monday’s Fiscal Year 2026-27 (FY27) public budget hearing to urge commissioners to preserve funding for election operations, homelessness services, and food-as-medicine programs, with many speakers describing systems already strained by rising demand and economic pressure.
The hearing represented the formal public comment portion of Wake County’s FY27 budget process ahead of additional work sessions and a planned June 1st adoption vote. Agenda materials noted County Manager David Ellis had already presented the recommended budget during the board’s May 4 meeting, while Monday’s meeting served as the required public hearing component under state law.
Previous Coverage
Wake County (NC) Proposes Tax Increase as Revenue Growth Slows and Costs Rise
County manager’s proposed $2.28 billion FY27 budget would raise the property tax rate to 53.71 cents while increasing school, public safety, and social services funding (May 7, 2026)
Commissioners and county staff did not debate or discuss the substance of the proposed budget during the hearing itself. Chair Don Mial opened the hearing, called speakers to the podium, reminded attendees about the three-minute speaking limit and thanked residents after their remarks before moving the meeting to the next agenda item.
Several speakers focused on election operations ahead of the 2026 election cycle, warning that increased voter participation, same-day registration activity, and growing public scrutiny will place heavier pressure on election workers and county infrastructure. Residents urged commissioners to continue investing in voting locations, staffing, voter assistance, and election worker recruitment, arguing Wake County has become a model for election accessibility and transparency.
Homelessness and housing stability also emerged as major focuses, particularly around support for the Helen Wright Center, the women’s shelter operated by Urban Ministries of Wake County. Residents connected to the shelter described fears that funding reductions could lead to fewer beds, reduced food access, loss of case management services, and fewer resources for housing and job searches.
“We all want the same things,” one resident told commissioners. “We all want to be warm at night. We all want food to eat.”
Another resident described arriving at the shelter after losing housing and said the center provided meals, shelter, and stability while she worked multiple jobs and attempted to rebuild her life. A representative from Urban Ministries later told commissioners the shelter helped move 66 women into permanent housing between January and August of last year while continuing to serve roughly 74 women at a time.
“These are not expansion costs,” the speaker said. “These are sustaining costs.”
Food insecurity and preventative healthcare programs also drew strong support, particularly the county-backed Nourishing Wake initiative, a food-as-medicine partnership involving healthcare organizations, nonprofits, and local agriculture providers. Speakers said the initiative has served more than 1,000 households, representing roughly 2,500 residents, while helping to reduce food and nutrition insecurity.
One nonprofit leader said the program delivered produce boxes equivalent to more than 180,000 meals during the past year while also supporting local farms and delivery workers across the county. Another speaker described the effort as “a new model of supporting the community by the community.”
Throughout the hearing, residents acknowledged Wake County’s broader fiscal pressures while arguing the programs under discussion represent investments in long-term public stability, health, and safety rather than optional spending categories.
Additional public comments on the proposed FY27 budget remain open through May 20th (Today), ahead of upcoming budget work sessions and the board’s scheduled June 1st adoption vote.
What’s Next
Wake County commissioners will continue reviewing the proposed FY27 budget throughout May.
Upcoming meetings include:
May 21st: Additional budget work session
June 1st: Board consideration of final budget adoption
Residents may submit comments online through the county’s budget website during the review process. The portal is located here - https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/NXCLTDJ

